Relocating kids can be tough on not only them, but you as their parents. In order to make the transition from moving from one area to a new one easier on everyone, consider these tips. Not only can you help them better transition, but you can make the move fun and exciting for everyone involved. So keep the tips in mind when it comes to moving from one location to another. You should all be prepared for the long haul.
- Start talking about the move as soon as you figure out you’re moving. This helps get kids into the idea that you’re going to be moving.
- Speak about the nice things regarding the new school such as making new friends, being able to do more within the school, the extra activities that they put on and anything that makes the school stand out.
- Speak about the new place that you’re moving too. Perhaps it has a pool, larger space, kids are getting their own rooms or anything else that they might like about the new place.
- Let them know that you’re there for them to speak about any problems that they might have regarding the move.
- Consider getting them involved with something around the community and do it as a family so that everyone feels like they can be a part of something.
- Take them for a tour of the new town or city before moving there. This will familiarize them with the surroundings before actually jumping to a new place.
- Talk about the many things to do in the city that they can do from time to time. This can get them excited about the new opportunities that will open up once you move.
- Let them know that you can collect their previous friends’ numbers so that they are able to speak on the phone or set up play dates on times and days when you’re not busy – if the move is not too far away.
It is always good to get in the habit of speaking to your children about big changes in life, such as moving, so that they tolerate it well. If you’re not open with things like these, they might find that moving is stressful and it can cause a lot of chaos within home life. Make the move as stress free as possible for them, and for you.
Consider hiring movers for the move that you’re going to be making. You want to take some of the stress that you have off your shoulders. You can do so with a moving company that is able to help you on all aspects of the move. Moving should be exciting and not stressful, so use the right resources to help you and your family locate to the new home the best that you can.